Skinny Moose Media Black Bear Blog Blogging Outdoors Daily Bag Limit Desert Rat - AZ On Stand With CG Coyote John - AZ
Audio Pod Casts Video V Casts
Outpost Home
About Us Permanent Staff Contact Us Employment Opportunities
Arizona Home US Hunting Home US Hunting Forums

Go Back   Arizona Hunting Today Forum > Species and Groups > Small Game
FAQ VB Image Host Buy/Sell Members List Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Small Game Post your small game hunt stories here, and any discussions on small-sized game animals, such as: Javelina, Turkey, Feral Hogs, Rabbits, Prairie dogs... and more.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Supporting Member

orange groves produce an abundance of jacks and tails. they gnaw through the drip lines for the water and Dole fruit hates them. i got 16 jcks, 2 weekends ago in about 2 hours of hunting in the morning.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill46 View Post
orange groves produce an abundance of jacks and tails. they gnaw through the drip lines for the water and Dole fruit hates them. i got 16 jcks, 2 weekends ago in about 2 hours of hunting in the morning.
Damn! I need to try that out!! We went out the other night and were lucky to get one of each. The jacks are really wary around here and won't stop running, even if you whistle at them.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:45 AM

The Bear Canyon you seek is the one to the left of the rock that looks like a bear. The one near the tree that looks like a bear is not the one you're looking for.

I like hunting rabbits, as it's a good way to pass the time. I do prefer to hunt them when it's cooler though, like after a frost. Of course the Australians hunt and eat rabbits in the warm months, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Biker

Last edited by BikerRN; 06-18-2011 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Supporting Member

until your cleaning one and get a 'bot'..........ugggggggggggggg!!!! They are a non harmful parasite, but man when you pull the skin off a bunny and there it is, i toss the rabbitt! when i was 16 i got Tuleremia (rabbit fever) from cleaning an infected tail back in Indiana and i had a cut on my finger that came in contact with the infected blood. of course way, way back then we didn't use gloves. Had 104-105 degree fever for 3 days, had to put me in the tub with bags of ice. never want to go through that again, would prolly kill me now. i forget the old saying about months that end in R or Y or something like that and eating rabbits.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 AM

My grandpa used that theory. He said only eat them in months that have an R in them.

MFK GAME CALLS PROSTAFF (FORMERLY TC CUSTOM CALLS)
Made for Killing
MFK TEAM
www.mfkgamecalls.com

Shoot 'em in the FACE!
Old 06-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Yeah, I grew up hearing the "months with an R" saying.

I'll skip September and October, but November, December, Janurary, and Feburary seem to be pretty good for me. It's just one less thing to worry about for me, and gives me peace of mind. March and April seem to be a little too warm in this desert for me.

Biker
Old 06-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Supporting Member

me too. have not eaten any wild cottonails from here in a long time. the butcher here has them and that'll do for me for awhile until i get the inclination again. i just don't trust them when it is even in the 70's down here, dead winter. i would imagine payson, prescott up in the high snow they would be great. rarely get frost cold enough to kill the virus or the worms, i will keep and tan the skins though, sewed together about 20 of them and made a really nice blanket that we would lay on the floor and the first grandbaby would roll around on, now the twins are on it. problem is if you don't watch my huge labrador, he will drag the blanket and the twins out the patio door for a snack!!!!!! funny when i hook the wagon to him in his harness and take them all for a ride. i'm usually laughing so hard since he looks sooooo embaressed towing a wagon full of kids with me in front with his lead. i don't even know if dogs get embararssed. well deraild this thread again.
don't eat them unless it's cold!!!!! Roadkill advice...YMMV!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:03 PM

I hunt rabbits year round. I do not hunt them in the valley during the summer months. I keep to the rim country to hunt them during the summer months. I really enjoy hunting rabbits during the winter months. After it gets colder and possibly wetter, the cottontails are not bad at all. This past winter, the cottontails tasted pretty good. I use my trusty Rem 870 most of the time. I have used my .22 a lot but I am more successful with my 12G. I carry a mixed load of shot during quail season so that I can get them both. Number 4 shot for the bunnies and 8 for the birds. I am always looking for people to go with. I know of a few good places that have a lot of bunnies. I am always looking for new grounds and hunting friends. I usually bring my older son and wife if time permits. The Jacks that I find Bot larvae in, I boil the Jacks up for dog food for my pups. They love it! Need to go harvest some bunnies? Let me know!

Al
Old 08-06-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauerpilot View Post
I hunt rabbits year round. I do not hunt them in the valley during the summer months. I keep to the rim country to hunt them during the summer months. I really enjoy hunting rabbits during the winter months. After it gets colder and possibly wetter, the cottontails are not bad at all. This past winter, the cottontails tasted pretty good. I use my trusty Rem 870 most of the time. I have used my .22 a lot but I am more successful with my 12G. I carry a mixed load of shot during quail season so that I can get them both. Number 4 shot for the bunnies and 8 for the birds. I am always looking for people to go with. I know of a few good places that have a lot of bunnies. I am always looking for new grounds and hunting friends. I usually bring my older son and wife if time permits. The Jacks that I find Bot larvae in, I boil the Jacks up for dog food for my pups. They love it! Need to go harvest some bunnies? Let me know!

Al
if your ever up in the show low area, this is a lot of land up here where i go out every few days. i just hop on the quad and head up the road.