Skinny Moose Media Black Bear Blog Blogging Outdoors Daily Bag Limit Desert Rat - AZ On Stand With CG Coyote John - AZ
Audio Pod Casts Video V Casts
Outpost Home
About Us Permanent Staff Contact Us Employment Opportunities
Arizona Home US Hunting Home US Hunting Forums

Go Back   Arizona Hunting Today Forum > Species and Groups > Predators & Furbearers
FAQ VB Image Host Buy/Sell Members List Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Predators & Furbearers This forum is for discussion on predator hunting and trapping, which includes: Bobcat, Coyote, Fox, and the Skunk - including discussions of fur-bearing species, such as: Badger, Beaver, Muskrat, Otter, Raccoon, Ring-tail, Coatimundi, Weasel, and even the Wolf.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:23 PM

Default Coyote hunting w/ holographic or red dot???

Does anybody have any experience using holographic or red dot optics (ex. EOtech, Aimpoint, ACOG) on their coyote hunts? If so, what is your opinion for hunting purposes?

I have a EOtech 512 that I am considering putting on my AR (in place of my standard, variable power, scope). I would guess that these 1x optics would be good for up to about 150 yards (with my skill set anyway, probably greater for someone with more proficiency) I also have a 5x magnifier that I could put behind it, but I like how quick on target it is without it, and I also like the fact that I can keep both eyes open.

So, any experiences / thoughts?
Revenue Sharing Ads ( ?):
Old 07-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to airmark

i to have a sight like that (in the box) i have also wondered the same question.my thoughts are if you can call them in close enough why not?i have never hunted yotes so i really don't know but it seems like it would work pending on how good you are with it.
You got it from your father.it was all he had to give you.so its yours to use and cherish.for as long as you may live.if you lose the watch he gave you.it can allways be replaced. but a black mark on your name,son,can never be erased.it was clean the day you took it.and a worthy name to bear. when he got it from his father there was no dishonor there.so make sure you guard it wisely after all is said and done.youll be glad the name is gold when you pass it to your son.......
Old 07-27-2010, 06:41 PM

Tmack has a red dot on his coyote ar. He uses a scope and the red dot. It's a great setup for close and far. I will add one eventually.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Vortex has a couple of models. Great warranty, great prices. Most of the reviews I have heard have been good, but Chief wasn't 100% happy with his - I think his dot wasn't bright enough in sunshine (or maybe dark days).

www.vortexoptics.com
Old 07-27-2010, 07:14 PM

I saw fred eichler's boy hit a dog on tv at like 200 yards with one. I'd say they work at a distance.

MFK GAME CALLS PROSTAFF (FORMERLY TC CUSTOM CALLS)
Made for Killing
MFK TEAM
www.mfkgamecalls.com

Shoot 'em in the FACE!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 PM

I have been looking at the offset mounts that attach to your rail and allow you to mount a red dot at like the 2 o'clock position off the side of your scope. Like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=628995

But I have a hogue free float with no rails and my scope takes up most of my flat top rail space. There is room in between my rings for the offset mount but it would then cover the ejection port... Not to mention, my AR is on the heavy side (ok, it's very heavy ) and that seems like alot of weight to add... Thus why I was considering just ditching the scope and using the EOTech.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Supporting Member

I have an aimpoint on my Colt LE AR (223) with a 2x magnifier. works great out to about 300 yards on a static target. most of my coyotes i've take have been within 150 yards. that particular gun has taken 3 dogs out of 3 shots with the aimpoint. As for the Vortex, i have one on my DPMS (223) and could not be happier. you have to get the "Bright Red Dot" not the red/green combo as it was too dim in bright sunlight. the new red only is amazing and no questions asked warranty. my main hunting AR Bushmaster Predator runs a S&B red dot 1.1x4 scope. I love the red dots for fast aquistion and i love the fact that when you have to get on them fast, there they are. where i hunt there is no reason for over a 4x scope anyway, and i mostly use the mossy. hook up that eotech and run it, i think you will like it a lot. the Military has been using eotechs and aimpoints for years and have had some pretty impressive yardage kills with them.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:43 AM

I also have an aimpoint (4moa, wish it was a 2moa) and have used it hunting a few times but missed at the only opportunity that I had on a real long moving shot. I have an eotech on another ar and really like the 1 moa dot in the center that can be a bit more precise. Both are great and quick and I use them at my work as well with no problems. Like you said, both eyes open would be a big help. I have a 3-9x40 on my R15 that I use for hunting now but only bring it out on maybe 25% of my stands. I always keep it on 3 power but have the option if I need more.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

I use scope and red dot combo on my AR. Love it. It makes it heavy but I'm ok with it. My red dot is on an offset mount on the fore grip. It's a tru-glo and it seems to be holding out to 50 yards. Check my posts. I posted a video and talked about it here. Best of both worlds with a twist of the AR.
SOCOM Division
Old 07-29-2010, 06:57 AM

I have been thinking about this for awhile. They foregrip on my rifle is already drilled for a short rail at the 1 or 2 oclock position. Im wondering what it would cost to put a cheap red dot on there. The only other thing is I have a harris bipod on it so it doesnt make for good shooting on the fly, hence why I got the scatter gun ready!